Below please find the on-line complaint form for the Tennessee State Board of Cosmotology and Barber Examiners. Before you file with our office, the Board requests that you read the following information which explains its function, responsibilities and powers.
- The Board was created to enforce the Licensing Law & Rules. It has only such powers as the legislature gave it. In order to safeguard the interest of the public, the Board wants to ensure that only those who meet the statutory requirements for licenses are able to obtain them and that those who fail to comply with the laws governing the conduct of the profession are disciplined.
- The Board cannot recover or order the refund of any money or property to which you may be entitled. You must institute a civil lawsuit for this purpose and hire your own legal counsel, if necessary. In certain instances, a judge can revoke or
suspend the license of the person against whom you are complaining, the Respondent.
- Attach legible copies of all pertinent documents, etc. After we receive your completely executed complaint form, we will send a copy of the complaint to the Respondent with the request that he or she reply within 10 days of the postmarked date of receipt. When the response is received by our office, we will send a copy to you. You may respond to the
Respondent's answer if you wish.
- A Legal Review will take place and if additional information is necessary, your complaint may be forwarded to an Inspector or the Investigation Section. The Inspector/Investigator assigned to the case will seek the additional evidence requested. The Board will review the findings and will take the appropriate action.
- If the Board votes to hold a formal hearing, you will most likely be subpoenaed to testify.
Click here for printable version
Department Of Commerce and Insurance
Tennessee State Board of Cosmotology and Barber Examiners
500 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, Tennessee 37243-1147
Fax (615) 741-1310